Friday, February 14, 2014

The same old hunter's question, different answer...

Alone far in the wilds and mountains, I hunt, wandering amazed at my own lightness and glee. In the late afternoon, choosing a safe spot to pass the night, kindling a fire, broiling fresh killed game. Falling asleep on gathered leaves with my dog and gun at my side”...Walt Whitman

The above quote has always rung true for me. It makes my senses stir, paints a picture in my mind. It makes me wish I were in the scene and describes perfectly how I feel about hunting. I can almost see the stars in the sky and smell the blue smoke from the campfire as meat sizzles on a spit...

The extreme cold, snow and ice of recent have me thinking too much as cabin fever is setting in. I've passed some time fiddling around outside when I can, but short of ice fishing, the polar weather isn't welcoming to many outdoor activities. It is, however, just the kind of weather to hunker down, read a book or a few magazines and while away the long nights...It's a good time to think, to ask yourself questions and to look for answers. Of course for me, hunting isn't far from my mind and it always gets back to that old question, “Why do I hunt?”...I've been asked and answered many times, some right here in “Along the Trail”, but each time I ask myself that same question, a new or different answer, another reason reveals itself...

I hunt because I love it in the simplest of terms. It's an inherited instinct rooted deeply in human history. In nearly all cultures across the world, there is an undeniable urge to hunt that awakens in boys. A boy will throw rocks, sharpen sticks, make a weapon. Studies have shown that the predatory instinct will appear spontaneously in boys, even without any prior experience or coaching. Sadly, many in today's society want to take the “boy” out of boyhood and eliminate that predatory instinct from our so called “civilized” society. But, somehow even in all of our political correctness, hunting manages to hang on...

For myself, hunting is an almost spiritual experience. It is when and where I feel close to God. Hunting is how I fell in love with nature and the outdoors. It's something that can't be experienced on a golf course or soccer field or in front of a television. Hunting and fishing connect us  profoundly with nature and wildlife. Hunting teaches woodsmanship and skills lost on many of today's youth. It teaches the power and beauty of nature. Hunting teaches us at a deep, emotional level about a hunter's inseparable relationship to nature and his responsibility to defend it. It teaches us that we are participants in something far greater than ourselves and our own selfish ways. It teaches us extreme alertness and we feel alive and connected to the environment.

From an outsiders view, a hunter might appear to control nature, but the truth is, it's the exact opposite. The hunter identifies with the animals, with the game he pursues and feels tied to it. It is, and should be deliberately humbling for the hunter as failure far outnumbers our success in the field.

No true hunter revels in the death of his prey or any animal for that matter. A hunter knows that “life lives on lives” and hunters participate directly, much like farmers, in the fundamental process of life. And that, my friends, is without question, why hunters have been and still are, the premiere  conservationists of wildlife and wilderness to all of our benefit.

Now, to throw another log on the fire and wait for the thaw and the green of March and the booming gobbles of turkey season...

No comments:

Post a Comment